The Bean Tighe (pronounced ban tig) is a helpful spirit that is likely one of the inspirations for the "fairy godmother" type donor/patron from faerie and folk tales. She is the one who makes it possible for others to achieve their potential ... whether it be helping with the maintenance of one's home, one's finances, or the ability to make one's dreams come true.


Friday, January 6, 2012

PBP: Week 1 - [A]ttitude

It strikes me as the perfect place to begin the project ... what with everything I've been internally wrestling with over the last week, I feel that recovering my spiritual practice absolutely must begin with my attitude.


I recognize that, over the last several years, it has become an unfortunate but easily fallen into habit to focus more on the negativity of mundane life and that there is no possible way such a focus could not affect everything. The more narrow my focus became on all the things that were going wrong, the easier it became to set aside my spiritual connection to my ancestors, my gods and my self. The more things went wrong, the less inclined I was to remember that I was failing to maintain my balance and the further into negativity my attitude sank.

Even with the move back to the Lower Mainland, that narrow, mundane, negative focus has remained with me ... causing me to adopt a stoic but defeatist attitude towards my life, my self, and my future. Although I have made a few efforts to move beyond my hermit's persona, I cannot honestly say that I haven't approached each without a measure of negativity. Not in the outings or the people themselves, but rather in the uncomfortable knot of emotion that (even now, just thinking about it) roils in my abdomen at the prospect of going outside as I approach the time of departure and how very often I have allowed it to dissuade me from making a change. 

Since doing a Crafting for a friend before the turn of the calendar, I have been experiencing a dramatic shift in my attitude and I find that, the more positive it becomes, the more I catch myself thinking about things I can do to bring my spiritual life back into my day to day the way it should be. 

Attitude is that component of one's self that will either set you up for success, or doom you to defeat long before you ever begin whatever it is you wish to do ... whether it be spiritual practice, spellwork, or just getting out of bed in the morning. Everything else that accompanies a pagan existence, the tools and trappings that we all love so very much (altars, statuary, tools, incenses, herbs, garb, etc.), are secondary to the individual's own heart and mind and, if your attitude is trapped in the dark, there's not going to be much impulse to do anything about it. Good intentions don't get things moving .. and, saddled with a negative attitude, I didn't want to do much.

As a result of that Working, my attitude has been undergoing a  powerful change in a very short space of time. A good reminder that the crafter is influenced by the Craft they practice. And, as my personal outlook on everything brightens, I find myself seeking more and more ways to reintroduce to my daily life the spiritual practices that I allowed to slip away. Rather than try to return to the old activities I used to engage in,  in years long gone now, I feel it would be better to try acknowledge that I am not the same person I was then and to discover new ways to grow. 

I no longer feel like I need to wait "until things get better" to reconnect with my ancestors, my gods and my self ... I need to renew my relationship with each in order FOR things to get better. The more I allow my brightening attitude to move me towards a new path where balance is restored between the physical resident of this life and it's mundane requirements (work, bills, money, etc) and my much neglected need to have a connection with something beyond myself, the brighter still I believe my attitude will become. Moving me to yet greater positivity and manifesting it into the mundane.

Attitude alone, however, will only take me so far ... but that is a tale for the next instalment.


8 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Lyn... I think sometimes as Pagans we tend to focus on the mystical and forget about grass roots practicality like the importance of our attitudes.

    One of the key goddesses for me is Scathach, whom I'll occasionally refer to as "Our Lady of the Kick up the Attitude"... but you're right - attitude is only the starting place (although it's a critical one!)

    Really looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    Blessings - Tanja (Starfire)
    http://starfirenz.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I too live a hermit's life in most respects so I can defo understand all that u described. I especially liked the fact that you mentioned reconnection with spiritual self and beings as something that is relevant in the here and now, not after healing but in some ways as a means of healing itself. I do not believe the Gods and wights expect us to be perfect or at a certain place in our lives, I think they respect our truthfullness more, even if our current state isn't the most positive.
    Looking forward to reading your posts each week.

    In Frith
    Cena

    http://wanewyrds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. Everyone needs a reminder to go to the self to work on issues. Thanks for the reminder, I know I needed it. :) Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a nice quote and good points to remember.

    The more I allow my brightening attitude to move me towards a new path where balance is restored between the physical resident of this life and it's mundane requirements (work, bills, money, etc) and my much neglected need to have a connection with something beyond myself, the brighter still I believe my attitude will become. Moving me to yet greater positivity and manifesting it into the mundane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do/did so relate to what you've written here. could be me writing it LOL. and the hermit's life...something I seem to crave for but hate at the same time. Talk about ambivalence! You've given me some good things to think about. Bu the way, a very simple thing I did this past Yule...change I CANNOT to I CAN! So far it's working :) Thanks for the great post on Attitude.
    Blessings
    Deep~Glade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Llyn,

    I enjoyed your article very much. I agree with what you have said about attitude and, like you, have personally experienced how impactful one's attitude is on daily life. I am looking forward to getting to know more about you and sharing with you during the next year and beyond.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, insightful post. I often struggle with attitude as well... I often need reminded by spirit that what I focus on is what I draw to me-- so its best to be positive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great post, you've drawn my attention to something I've been overlooking. I look forward to reading more from you in the weeks to come.

    Bright Blessings
    Juniper

    ReplyDelete