The Bean Tighe (pronounced ban tig) is a helpful spirit that is likely one of the inspirations for the "fairy godmother" type donor/patron from faerie and folk tales. She is the one who makes it possible for others to achieve their potential ... whether it be helping with the maintenance of one's home, one's finances, or the ability to make one's dreams come true.


Friday, January 20, 2012

PBP: Week 3 - [B]eginnings

Welcome to week 3 of my participation in the Pagan Blog Project ... this week's subject is that of Beginnings.


Having spent the first week sorting out my attitude, and the second thinking about what actions I could undertake to renew the spiritual portion of my mundane life; I think it's high time I put all that mental effort into play ... 


But first: 

To those newcomers whom I have seen post, upon this or that blog and the Facebook page, apologies for their lack of knowledge and/or statements that they feel inadequate in comparing themselves to other bloggers who have been posting copious tracts of information ... I'd like to reassure you that we all began in the same place when it came to our pagan practices: knowing bupkis about anything. 
.
Whether you are speaking to an RC like myself (Recovering Catholic) who has been pursuing a pagan path for upwards of 30 years, someone who was raised in a post-1960's pagan family, or someone who claims to have a "traditional" family that reaches back for generations ... each of us has come to this either knowing nothing or, worse, having to unlearn a lot before we could make any useful progress within ourselves. Either we have been taught by others (pagan parents, coven leaders, etc.) or we teach ourselves.
.
You have nothing to apologize for and will -- with time, diligent research and education -- gather the information that will allow you to feel more secure in your place within the oft pseudo-intellectual world of the neo-pagan. Please place your focus, first, on developing a system of living with your spirituality and give it your all until it has become second nature. The information whoring that we are nearly all guilty of will come with time.
.
I'd far rather interact with someone who is sincere in their practices but lacking in know-how than some pretentious arse who has the right answers but is all glamour and no substance. 
.
~Medb, January 19, 2012

Now, with that out of the way ^_~,

I have chosen three activities to use as a beginning ... three things that I can take active part in on a regular basis to allow me to reestablish the spiritual habits that I allowed Life and my stress-levels to cause me to foolishly set aside


  • Flame Keeping
    • As a member of the Ord Brighideach International, I routinely take my turn minding a spark of Brìd's Flame from Kildare, Ireland, once every 20 days. In addition to a renewal of my dedication to the practice, I am going to be setting up a personal candle shrine where I can be more formal about the scheduled shifts as well as dedicating one hour to active Flame-keeping per day, in the evenings. This will be a time for meditation, prayer and, eventually, working with a healing basket.
  • A Crafting Craft:
    • Being that I live in a furnished garden suite (read as above ground basement suite), there is very little here that actually reflects me (tho I will credit my landlord's wife with good taste in her choices of furnishings and decor). I have been reluctant to do anything to alter her efforts which has, in turn, resulted in there being very little of me in my current residence. I have purchased a raw shadow-box from Micheals and will be putting in a minimum of one hour daily into turning it into something that will express my a slice of myself and my spirituality. As my lady Medb favours direct action, this time will be dedicated to her.
  • Study:
    • Back in October of 2011, feeling an increase in energies/influence of Airmid in my life (the "maiden" aspect that compled my personal triune with "mother" Brìd and "crone" Medb), I enrolled in Dominion Herbal College's Chartered Herbalist Diploma Program. I have not however, due to the high-stress situation I have found myself in for the last year, been diligent about my studies. I will be clearing off my study table (which has become the site of considerable clutter) and devoting three hours each day (in the early mornings) to actively working on the course materials in the knowledge that I am honouring my lady as I do so.


Each week that follows, I will add another activity to my daily doings until such point as I feel I have properly reintegrated my mundane and spiritual sides.


I'll take before and after photographs of everything to post here, except the actual study time (though I will keep a study log for my own personal usage to track my progress). The development of the crafty project will likely be posted on The Spider's Weavings blog (my Craft/crafty site, see link at top of page). 


This site will update as PBP 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc with photos and short pieces on the continuing progress as the weeks of the Pagan Blog Project progresses. As with most beginnings, this one will be ongoing. 


^_^


Let us Begin ... 

6 comments:

  1. Lynn - thank you for your post - I keep trying to say the same thing. I also keep trying to say - that we also have different gifts we bring to the table and we should celebrate this.

    I almost started the herbal coursework but my path changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing good comes from comparing ones'self to others as it causes the person to overlook their own special qualities ... or worse, begin to imitate the practices of others instead of developing their own.

      Delete
  2. "I'd far rather interact with someone who is sincere in their practices but lacking in know-how than some pretentious arse who has the right answers but is all glamour and no substance."

    yes! Thank you!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.C.: recovering Catholic - genius! I have been pagan for 20 odd years now and I still know very little about pagan academia. I don't think it matters too much. How I feel and act is more important to me. Thank you so much for posting those opening paragraphs. It really needed to be said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, you are welcome and I agree.

      I know of one new-to-spirituality blogger who has withdrawn from the project because she felt totally out of her league. While I understood and respect her reasoning, reading her withdrawal post filled me with sadness ... as much for the fact that it was a lost opportunity for those of us who have been at it for decades to rediscover a little of the wonder and mystery of those beginning stages she could have shared with us, as the fact that she was so discouraged as to give up.

      The information we hoard is not nearly as important as creating a spiritual Life and being genuine about it on a daily basis.

      My Tab doesn't allow me to post comments to the blogs I read (huzzah for email replies to my own blog), so this was my way to try to reach out and encourage others to not underestimate themselves as everyone has something to teach.

      Delete